Currently we do not have Open Calls, if you are interested in one of our Programs please
GlogauAIR is a non-profit organization founded in 2006 by the artist Chema Alvargonzalez with the intention to create a meeting point between artists from all disciplines to work in collaboration, expanding their practice in terms of material, format, and style.
Centred on the principles of explore, create, and exhibit, the residency program offers the use of a studio space in a historic building in Berlin and a base in Kreuzberg from which to explore and discover the creative side of the city.
Taking part in a Residency at GlogauAIR, 13 international artists, with diverse social and geographical backgrounds, will receive support, advice, and develop their work in a dynamic community of coexistence. At the same time they will get to know a new culture and landscape, getting influences from Berlin, renowned for contemporary culture.
During the Residency each artist will live inside one of the GlogauAIR’s Studios, having the opportunity to not only completely immerse in its own creative process, but also share ideas and opinions with the other artists living there.
Where: At GlogauAIR
Duration: 3 or 6 months
- Accommodation 600 € / month
- Program and Technical Support Fee 1.500 € / quarter (paid 120 days in advance)
- Deposit guarantee 1.000 € (which will be refunded at the end of the Residency)
Second artist +100 € / month on accomodation (Only for artists with a proven track record of working together as an artistic pair).
There are 13 studios distributed over the top 3 floors of this historic Kreuzberg building from 1896. Each floor has shared kitchen, shower, WC and WIFI. Basic expenses, including maintenance, gas, electricity, and internet, and utilities are included in the accommodation. The kitchens are fully equipped and the studios have a double sofa bed with bed linen, table, chairs, desk lamp / bed lamp, wardrobe and shelves. There is also a charming garden and a backyard for common use.
The residence is located in a beautiful, modernist-style building that was designed to be a school. It is the first work projected and built by the architect Ludwig Hoffmann, in 1896, after his nomination as Building Adviser of the city. With this structure Hoffman initiated a period of non-stop productivity that led to public buildings, parks, bridges, hospitals and museums being built throughout Berlin. The most famous are the Pergamon Museum—a responsibility he took up after the sudden death of his friend Alfred Messel—the Märkisches Museum and the ancient Town Hall of Berlin.
During Allied bombings in 1945, the principal building of the school was destroyed but the areas of the gymnasium remained intact and today lodge a children’s public library.
Another part that got saved was the rectors building, which preserves the educational spirit while serving as our Artist in Residence lodging. The old classrooms have been converted into studios and the destroyed space of the building has been turned into a green space, allowing lots of light and room for relaxation and outdoor activities.
Different activities and collaboration projects are organized in or by GlogauAIR, including artist talks, interviews, studio visits and interchange programs with other residences and institutions, as well as a welcome lunch to get introduced to GlogauAIR's community.
The Showcase is an ongoing project that takes place in the window (85 cm x 185 cm x 35 cm) outside the wall building of GlogauAIR. Resident artists have the opportunity to create site-specific works in this unique space, in between the boundaries of public and private spheres. Passing by the installation the public have the opportunity to experience artistic manifestation, meanwhile the artist can experiment with public reactions, interactivity and show the process of his/her work.
During the Residency, artists have the opportunity to sign up for an Interview. This is a good opportunity to explain in first person about one’s own work and have it shown on our website database.
With Peer-to-Peer Interviews, we give the opportunity to two different artists that share common ideas or methodologies to exchange ideas and opinions, guided through the discussion by a member of our team. This initiative not only stimulates the artistic debate, but also creates a strong connection between two different workflows taking place in two different parts of the world.
With the Instagram takeover #Letmeshowthistoyou, you can get a glimpse into the artistic practice and process of GlogauAIR’s resident artists. Every weekend, starting Saturday morning until Monday night, GlogauAIR’s Instagram account will be taken over by one of the artists. Sharing 72 hours of their life inside the Residency, artists will give insights about their “behind the scenes” world: their work-in-progress, their main sources of inspiration and also their approach to the Open Studios Exhibition.
Exchanges with other Berlin based Art Residencies are held during every Residency’s cycle. This means we are going to exchange Studio visits with the chosen Institution, having the unique chance to show and being shown resident artists’ work.
Apart from these, many other activities will come up, as Berlin is a city always moving and giving birth to art and stimulating projects and ideas.
You will be included in the resident artists' database accessible on our homepage and your work as well as any other project you participate in, will be regularly shared across our social media channels.
Three Month Residency Calendar - Example
Here we present an example of a typical three-month calendar for activities at GlogauAIR.
- Welcome Meeting
- Talk - Behind GlogauAIR: the work of Chema Alvargónzalez and La Memoria
- Meeting - GlogauAIR Living Room - GlogauAIR building tour
- Meeting - Guidelines: Artists’ Statements
- Monthly Meeting: Open Studios Catalogue material review
- Monthly Meeting: Open Studios Preparation
- Artists Exchange
- Instagram Live Interview
- Film Screening
- Instagram Live Interview and IG Takeover
- Virtual Showcase
- Artist Talk
- Berlin Art Tours
- Meeting: Pre-Open Studios
- Open Studios
Our main activity and event is the GlogauAIR's Open Studios Exhibition, which will be held by artists at the end of every Residency. This is a great opportunity to literally open the doors of what has been the burning centre of your 3 or 6 months intensive artistic production and experimentation, showcasing your project with direct contact to the local artistic scene and a dialog with the Berlin’s art lovers and enthusiasts.
On the occasion of the Open Studios exhibition, GlogauAIR will edit a catalogue with information and photos of every resident artist, as well as a flyer and press release.
As part of the residency program, an experienced international curator part of GlogauAIR team will offer assistance during the residency time.
Through individual meetings, the curator will share ideas, references, and possibilities to enrich the creative process. The close professional exchange between artist and curator can be a source of expanding the creative experience, opening new professional horizons in the art and cultural field and enable learning about other trends or disciplines.
The GlogauAIR team will provide assistance, advice and will attend basic technical demands at specific points during the residency and in preparation for the Open Studios.
GlogauAIR will also provide access to all the equipment and tools available in the residence, including woodworking tools and multimedia equipment such as projectors and screens.
During the entire Residency’s duration, GlogauAIR takes care of various promotions of the artists’ work, through publications and social media visibility.
During Virtual Open Studios a Press Release is sent to important art figures inviting them to take a virtual tour of our artist’s studios. Currently, our PR list gathers 500 subscribers.
We also send a Catalogue, which features all the Artists that just finished their residency. Here you can find the main information about each artist, regarding both their general artistic view and the work realised during the Residency.
GlogauAIR uses its social media channels to reach local and international audiences and keep them informed about our activities, online exhibitions, as well as to introduce our resident artists of every session.
- Facebook: in 2019 we successfully merged an old GlogauAIR page with the one currently in use, being able to create a combined audience that doubled our reach.
- Instagram: GlogauAIR uses the highly visual social media platform to promote initiatives and our artists’ work, and also to introduce the weekly Showcase project. Moreover, with #letmeshowthistoyou, we allow artist to perform a takeover to give them more space to express themselves and be exposed to a wider audience. This also gives the public a chance to dive in the “behind the scenes” part, understanding the working process and the creative methods behind every art piece.
- Newsletter: we send a monthly Newsletter with all our current and future initiatives, such as events and exhibitions, with approximately 15,000 subscribers.
Before you apply for a Residency at GlogauAIR in Berlin please read the following guidelines.
The main language in the residence is English.
If the artist comes from a non-European country, he/she has to go through the process of obtaining a German Visa valid throughout the time of residence. We offer our collaboration by writing a letter of admission.
For general information about mobility check touring-artists.info.
The artist must take responsibility to pay individually for the costs of the studio prices and insurance, transport and travel expenses. Normally the artist will look for a grant in his/her country to finance all the costs, although GlogauAIR will do everything possible to facilitate the search for financial aid, i.e. sending a non-binding letter of invitation that endorses the decision of the artist. As a starting point, here you can find a selection of funding programs.
A jury formed of professionals from the Berlin Art community will choose the admitted artists and the decision will be communicated by e-mail only to the selected artists one month after the application deadline.
Residency duration of either 3 months or 6 months only. Please indicate the residency period and duration on your application. Residency periods are:
- January to March - Open Studios on March
- April to June - Open Studios on June
- July to September - Open Studios on September
- October to December - Open Studios on December
Artists are required to present work and attend each Open Studio within their residency period. Lack of fulfillment of this condition can result in charges equivalent to the whole rental deposit guarantee at the sole discretion of GlogauAIR.
Accommodation 600 € / month (3 or 6 months)
Open Studios, Program and Technical Support Fee 1.500 € / quarter (paid 120 days in advance)
Deposit guarantee 1.000 € (which will be refunded at the end of the Residency)
Second artist +100 € / month (Only for artists with a proven track record of working together as an artistic pair).
PAYMENT TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please note that the application procedure is competitive. Candidates will be selected at GlogauAIR’s sole discretion approximately one month after the application deadline, following the results of the selection committee. If selected you will receive a confirmation email and further information regarding the next steps to confirm your residency with us.
1) Successful candidates will be notified via email. They will be sent a draft copy of the contract and will be required to provide additional administrative information in order to formalise the contract as well as be required to make the initial payment of the deposit and the curatorial and technical support fees.
2) Candidates will only be considered as fully accepted residents once they return a signed copy of the contract, we receive the full payment of the deposit and the curatorial and technical support fees and where applicable all financing and visa requirements have been fulfilled.
3) All payments will be made via bank transfer, no cash will be accepted. Any bank charges such as money wiring fees will be paid for by the candidate before arrival.
4) An administrative and processing fees of 100 € will be applied to cancellations received up to six months prior to residency begin. Cancellation fees of 500€ will be applied to any termination notice given between three to six months prior to the beginning of the residency period. Cancellation fees will increase to 1.000€ thereafter.
5) The deposit guarantee will be returned in full to the artist should there be no damages or other encumbrances upon check-out at the end of the residency period.