At GlogauAIR artists from diverse social and geographical backgrounds find a place to develop their works in a dynamic environment of coexistence, exchange of ideas and internationalization. At the same time, they get to know a new culture and landscape in Berlin, getting influences from the city, which has become a pioneering place for contemporary culture.
The non-profit organization GlogauAIR was founded by the Spanish artist Chema Alvargonzalez in 2006 with the intention to create a meeting point between artists from all disciplines to work in collaboration, expanding their practice in terms of materials, formats, and style. The processes are shown every three months in an open studios exhibition where the public can see the works of the resident artists in a relaxed and festive event.
Parallel to the Residency Programme and the Open Studios we organise activities and exchange projects in collaboration with other institutions such as Videoart, Sound Art or Performance Festivals, exhibitions or artist presentations, where we invite the local public, art lovers and professionals.
Artists from all artistic disciplines (installation, video art, net.art, sculpture, creative writing, architecture, electronic music, painting, drawing, performance, photography, etc.) are invited to come as far as their project fits with our installations. Fourth times a year the artists can apply with a project for a residency for three or six months.
The applications are evaluated by a jury formed by professionals from the Berlin art community. Moreover, some artists are selected and granted by different institutions in their home countries, with which we have collaboration agreements.
The residence is located in a beautiful, modernist-style building that was designed to be a school. It is the first work projected and built by the architect Ludwig Hoffmann, in 1896, after his nomination as Building Adviser of the city. With this structure Hoffman initiated a period of non-stop productivity that led to public buildings, parks, bridges, hospitals and museums being built throughout Berlin. The most famous are the Pergamon Museum—a responsibility he took up after the sudden death of his friend Alfred Messel—the Märkisches Museum and the ancient Town Hall of Berlin.
During Allied bombings in 1945, the principal building of the school was destroyed but the areas of the gymnasium remained intact and today lodge a children’s public library.
Another part that got saved was the rectors building, which preserves the educational spirit while serving as our Artist in Residence lodging. The old classrooms have been converted into studios and the destroyed space of the building has been turned into a green space, allowing lots of light and room for relaxation and outdoor activities.
GlogauAIR is situated just off the Landwehr Canal, a picturesque river filled with swans, and lined with trees, which crosses the entirely of the Kreuzberg "Kiez". The very large - and social- Görlitzer Park is also very close by.
Historically Kreuzberg, which sits on the western border between East and West Berlin, was characterized as a neighbourhood of elegant buildings housing working and middle class families. It features many industrial enclosures that lodge small factories, publishing and printing houses, and crafts businesses. From the beginning of the 19th century to the end of the Second World War, Kreuzberg was Berlin's central quarter for commerce and production.
After the war, and later with the raising of the Berlin Wall, Kreuzberg became a frontier neighbourhood whose accessible rents and wide open spaces attracted young people from across Germany as well as immigrants, especially from Turkey.
In the 70s and 80s the alternative character of the squat movement - occupying abandoned buildings- flourished along with the arrival of artists from all disciplines, turning the Kreuzberg quarter into the new "cool". It still holds that reputation today; since the Wall fell, it was cemented its status as the creative, multi-cultural heart of the city, a zone that has preserved its essential character while allowing the constant flow and influence of new ideas.